Monday, May 12, 2014

Mozilla on the New Mac :)


After going through the Pico Service, the previous week had two major tasks :

> Testing the pico on my Linux Machine

> Setting up SAPI on the windows

Regarding the first part, I have tested Pico on my linux. Here are the steps if anyone wants to try :
Install Pico on your linux. It's a simple one-liner. After that

1. Set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to wherever your is.
2. Set the PICO_LANG_PATH environment variable to wherever the language files are.

3. Add "ac_add_options --enable-synth-pico" to your .mozconfig, in the root directory.
4. Build the firefox again and then, set "media.webspeech.synth.enabled" to true in about:config.
This preference is present by default in the firefox and you have to create it. I have created Bug 1007834 so that the preference is present by default, and it will soon be included.

So, these are the steps that you need to follow. After that, you can test the api here.
You can also test this page with other browsers who have tts, and file bugs if they have any.
The second part was to get started with SAPI, Microsoft Speech API. The API provides a high-level interface between the application and speech engines. It implements all the low-level details needed to control and manage the real-time operations of various speech engines.
So, I began with setting up Sapi on my Windows 8 and have started with some basic programs to get familiar with sapi, which I'll be updating here : MS-SAPI-demo.
I haven't done any windows programming till now so it will take some extra effort and time to get familiar with COM (Component Object Model) and Win32 API, which is needed to get the most out of this api.

That's it for this week, and btw ! I got myself a new Mac :D

Cheers ! :)

No comments: